By acquiring a 13,000 square-meter plot from Korr-Bremse AG, BMW has secured a considerable asset for the production of future vehicles. However, what’s most notable about the acquisition is the fact that it contains part of the original BMW factory built in 1918 in the Milbertshofen district of Munich.
Related: BMW May Boost U.S. Production Soon
The plot will become the new home for BMW Group Classic, which is responsible for maintaining all activities pertinent to the BMW, MINI, and Rolls-Royce brands, which is fitting considering its own historical significance. The first BMW factory was built in 1918 on Moosacher Straße near Munich. The factory was responsible for manufacturing aircraft engines until 1920, when Knorr-Bremse took ownership. BMW moved on over to Lerchenauer Straße, where it expanded operations to encompass motorcycles, boats, and automobiles.
BMW Group Classic will use the site for archiving purposes, as well as the relocated BMW Museum and various events and exhibits. Knorr-Bremse AG is the world’s foremost manufacturer of braking systems for rail and commercial vehicles.
Given the fact that the soon-to-be home of BMW Group Classic will be the original BMW factory, we think it’s entirely fair to say that the automaker has gone Back to the Future (without even having the aid of pilfered plutonium).